Saturday, 22 February 2014

First Guests 2014

February, 2014

I was delighted to receive an email from Angela, a wonderful friend from Houston, who lives in Muscat.
After a bit of difficulty, Angela and Lila received their visas and arrived in Delhi.

True to my past history, the girls hit the ground running.

Our first stop after airport pickup at 9:30 am was the Qutab Minar   73 m high tower, built in 1193 by Qutab-ud-din Aibak.  The first three storeys are red sandstone; the fourth and fifth storeys are marble and sandstone.

The Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque was the first mosque built in India.

Construction started in 1200 AD and continued with more additions til 1315

Amazing what can be carried on a bicycle ...

We also wondered through a Mela, or market that was at a village close to Gurgaon.
Angela found shoes..


The Market was full of colour, music, buyers, sellers, families.


The next day we were up and on the road to Agra before 6 am. I am thrilled that John could also join us to see the Taj Mahal.  Our drive was 3 hours.
A very foggy morning


4 comments:

  1. Loved your post, Kathy. I hope you will post another of your photos to Agra. We loved both Agra and New Delhi....... I think the most eye-opening was the drive between the two.

    I didn't see this when you first posted, so am glad that you sent the email about it. Not sure what is wrong with notifications - I have problems with some others as well.

    great photos - love to join you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments.. It is fun to share our adventure. You are welcome to come visit. Biggest problem is the small window of good weather, getting very hot here for touring outside

      Delete
  2. It also won't let me comment under my wordpress ID.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the narrative and the pictures. You are truly on an adventure

    ReplyDelete