The best part about living in India is visiting a city more than once. I have been to Udaipur, Rajasthan three times. Another look at the Magnificent Royal Cenotaphs. The May long weekend, John and I decided to travel to Udaipur, Rajasthan. The temperature climbed to 43C one day, but I was determined to share this wonderful city with my Husband.
Our first stop after landing at 7:30 am, The Royal Cenotaphs, or the Ahar Cenotaphs, are about 2 km east of Udaipur. Ahar is well known for being the burial ground of the Mewar emperors.
 |
We found a step well. I was corrected in Udaipur that they are "Baodi"
After doing a search they are called "Baodi, Baoli, Baori" depending on who you talk to.
Anyone that has toured with me knows, I hunt for them any city I am in. |
 |
| Puja is important |
 |
| Used as a royal baths, and water reservoirs |
 |
| There are more than 250 cenotaphs of the maharajas of Mewar. They were built over about 350 years. We noticed dates like 1620, 1861. |
 |
| A stone depicts the emperor and his spouses who committed the "Sati". I have learned "Sati" is when the widow commits suicide by lighting herself on fire, it was outlawed in 1829. |
 |
| I am awed by the size and detail |
 |
| Our first look at the wonderful art |
 |
| History everywhere we looked |
 |
| Wonderful history lays with trash |
 |
| The temple is open for puja offerings |
%2C%2BUdaipur.jpg) |
| Holy pools or Kunds are popular when it is 43C |
 |
| Very peaceful |
 |
| Along the road side drums for for sale |
 |
| John wanted a drum set, but it would not fit in his carry on |
A great start to our arrival in Udaipur.
No comments:
Post a Comment